Tuesday 2 June 2009

In memory of Paul....who gave us HOPE!

This project was a dream for my father, Paul (left), who died in March of this year, having made four score years and one (81).  He was a simple man, much loved, who came from very humble beginnings and who believed that anything was possible if you worked hard enough.

During the last two years of his life, Paul battled against cancer, but like so many of the village people that we hope to help in India, and with the same generosity of spirit that is typical there, he did not seek to get help, and felt that the needs of his family should be met before his own.

As a family, we endeavoured to get the best possible treatment for him.  I hope that we matched Indian standards in terms of our ability to love and care for him.

Paul knew all about this project and was, until the very end, interested in what we were planning to do.  He was fascinated by all the photographs of India and the tales I told on my return to the UK.  He loved to look at the pictures of the lake in Udaipur and of the wonderful landscapes in India. 

Sadly, he died just three days before I left for Udaipur last time in the spring of this year, and everybody that I am working with in India, knows how great my sense of loss was.  I shall always miss him, as will everybody else who knew him, but Paul's spirit will live on with all of us at The Raven Foundation, because he was so brave.

In the weeks before he died he used to say to me: "It's so important to help other people everywhere".  

Dr Deepak Babel and I were talking about him just recently and we have decided to use part of what he said as our slogan:  "Help Other People Everywhere" which also translates as HOPE.   



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the touching story about your father, Paul. I am sorry for your loss. It is inspiring that you are honoring his memory in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete